You will need some serious money at some point.
Usually it is when you are moving into post-production.
So how do you get those funds that will help you buy better equipment?
Hire a cinematographer?
Get a great trailer out?
Promote your work via a Pitch Deck?
Here are 8 tips to help you
1. SELF-FUNDING - is the most probable till you need more!
2: CROWDFUNDING This site explains how to crowd fund. You can explore: Seed&Spark (great site) Junction. Indiegogo. Slated. Juntobox. Kickstarter. Fundrazr. Ulule (only for Europe)
3. GRANTS Here is a list of different grants that are available around the world
4. CREATING AN EVENT AROUND YOUR DOCUMENTARY (ONLINE OR LIVE) Go live via FB, invite people in. Create a show, seduce, convince, delight your audience to support you in your work.
5. BUSINESS OWNERS, CORPORATE buddies. (Find out who might be interested in sponsoring you if you give them credit and put their logo on the credits.)
6. FAMILY, AND FRIENDS (THE EASIEST WAY)
7. FUND-RAISE by doing something. Do a run, walk, bike-ride. Cake sale, sell off some stuff, garage sale etc.
8. SOCIAL MEDIA. Don't be shy, put it out there, create a great page. You can use www.canva.com to create the most amazing graphics for your page.
For every project I have created I have always had funding one way or the other. It takes time, quite a bit of effort, but SO worth it.
Thanks, and see you soon.